Thursday, September 3, 2009

AIGA: My Favorite Website



www.aiga.org/




One of my favorite websites is the AIGA website. I use this website to host a portfolio of my work, which can be viewed here. Over the summer I visited the AIGA website approximately two to three times a week. I looked at events, job openings, and spent time updating my portfolio. If I am updating my portfolio, I can spend about an hour on the site at one time. When school is in session, I don't have as much time to spend doing extra things, so I visit the AIGA site much less frequently. I visit AIGA probably every other week to check out events and make sure my job status is still listed as "seeking employment." I do need to spend some time uploading new work samples, though. Basically, my time spent on the site is dependent on how much time I have to be on it and how much I need to interact with the site (such as uploading pieces to my portfolio).


The AIGA banner features artwork that is changed per refresh of the page. There are two sets of links at the top. The topmost set features sections titled "About," "Membership," "Competitions," "News," "Jobs & Community," and "Login." The other set features the following sections: "Inspiration," "Professional Resources," "Education," "Design & Business," "Society & Environment," and "Writing." The main left side of the page features articles, recently commented-upon articles, and the most popular articles. Beneath that, there is a section entitled "AIGA Design Jobs" where you can create or edit your portfolio, find a job, or even hire a designer. Also featured are four recently updated member profiles listed. Beneath the job section is the "AIGA Design Archives" and a list (and links) of calendar events with links to view all the AIGA events, download the iCal listings for AIGA events, or subscribe via RSS. On the right section of the page is part of the AIGA mission statement, which links to the entire statement. Below that is a search AIGA bar and featured AIGA chapters. Next is a news section which you can subscribe to via RSS feeds (which you can do with events too). Underneath is a section for official AIGA sponsors.


The AIGA website seems to have a cornucopia of links, but they are well organized and easy to navigate through because they are well categorized. There are also individual pages for the different chapters, which is very useful. The way the AIGA website is laid out reminds me of a news mosaic website. There is a lot of information and thus a lot of words on the page that have to be dealt with in the design process. The overall feel of the website is sleek and modern with a bit of artistic flair.

No comments:

Post a Comment